25th work anniversary



Today is my 25th work year anniversary. I don't think anyone knows it but me.

On July 5, 1996 I parked in the small lot west of Park Library and took the elevator to 4th floor. I had just cracked my windshield and was so embarrassed about it. My desk was in a work room with a kitchen where everyone ate, no privacy at all. My first job with a few students was processing Senator Griffin's 400 cubic foot collection. I had a brand new, huge computer that wasn't plugged in yet. It took up most of my desk space. When I taught Lib 197 we did so in a room where only I had a computer. My job has morphed so much since then.

I am grateful for all the positives over the years and through my various jobs. Mostly it's been good. I try to learn from the good and the bad. I thank God for  this job and the interesting work I've done, and mostly for my amazing students throughout the years, and all the wonderful people on and off campus I've met and collaborated with and been privileged to help, some of whom have become dear friends.

Here is some free advice that I learned over the years, which I always tell my students that may help some of you or someone you know, especially those in a new job or profession:

1. Keep statistics, and ask when you are hired which ones you need to keep, in which format and how often they will be requested.

2. Committee work takes up a lot of your work week and is actually part of your job.

3. Focus on the battles you can win. 

4. The negative people eventually die or retire. Either way they won't be able to bother you then.

5. Whatever you do, do it the best you can, follow national standards as much as you can, know you made a positive difference, and be at peace about what you did and how you did it. Let the rest go.

6. Always be ethical. If you aren't ethical, we'll all know it sooner or later and your reputation will never recover.

7. Document what you do, claim your accomnplishments.

8. Keep learning to stay current. 

9. Focus your energy on your goals and responsibilities which will help you succeed.

9. Always read the job postings. Terminology and description changes, so keep your resume current. Learn which places have high turn over rate and avoid them.


Comments

  1. I came online and searched some of the links you had along with your message/reply to my phone call...Love the Photo here and the posting for your Work anniversary. Glad to have your friendship connection. Peace be to you, Irv

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Packing the last of CMU. Athletics' physical historical records cache

Slides and negatives